I have been telling nonstop about millets.. not sure who is listening here.
Ragi / Finger Millet Benefits : Taken from Internet..
· Rich in calcium: - No other cereal comes close to ragi when it comes to calcium content. Calcium is a significant factor when it comes to bone development and prevention of . Replacing calcium pills with a ragi kanji or porridge and including it in the diet of growing children is a good way to reap its benefits.
· Helps in
· High fibre content
· Regulates blood sugar levels
· Excellent baby food
· 10# Boosts lactation:
After making this ragi malt, I skip coffee once and have this daily. Kids like it too.
This version is healthier as it is made with sprouted ragi.
First let’s see how to make ragi malt mix.
· Ragi - 1 cup
· Badam + Cashew – ¼ to ½ cup
· Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
· Saffron Strands - few
· Palm Sugar candy – powdered – 3 tbsp and more
Wash the ragi and soak it overnight.
The next day, drain the water thru a strainer and cover it with a lid, so that it will sprout. It takes a day or 2 to sprout.
Next day, just dry them inside house in a cotton cloth. Let it dry completely.
When it is dry enough, dry roast the ragi and nuts (Badam and cashews) separately for about 5 mins. Let them cool completely.
Add palm sugar candy, cardamom powder and saffron strands and powder the ragi mixture into a fine powder using a mixer.
If you are doing this in bulk, then you can powder it by giving it to outside vendor powdering machine and will get a fine powder.
Store this in a clear dry jar. It holds up well for a month .
· I used more almonds than cashews to make it healthy. You can also use equal amount of them and add other nuts too.
Ingrediants for making a cup of ragi malt:
· Mik – 1/3 cup
· Water – 1/3 cup
· 2 tbsp of Ragi malt powder.
Bring water and milk to boil. Add the ragi malt mix and mix well without lumps. Heat it for a minute and switch off the stove. Check for sweetness, add sugar if you want.
Serve hot or cold.