Adai is a one of the perfect South Indian multigrain breakfast. Very filling and spicy. Usually its made with parboiled rice. I replaced the rice with little millet / Saamai. With all the dals and addition of millets make it perfectly healthy.
Adai aviyal / Jagery / butter is the best combination ever.
Added to add these.. it is very easy to prepare, needs no expertise.
· Little Millet – 1 cup
· Chena Dal – ½ cup
· Thor dal – ½ cup
· Urad dal - 2 tbsp
· Red chillies – 5 numbers (according to your taste)
· Hing – ¼ tsp
· Curry leaves and coriander leaves fine chopped – ¼ cup
· Salt to taste
· Oil – to drizzle on adai while cooking.
Wash the millets and Dal mentioned. Add red chilies. Soak it in 2 cups of water for 2 hours. Drain the water and grind into coarse paste. Add lil water while grinding. It should not be too watery, but thicker than dosa batter. Add hing salt to taste. Mix the curry leaves and coriander leaves.
Leave it in fridge over night to ferment. You can also make adai just after grinding, but it tastes better when fermented.
Heat dosa pan. Drizzle some oil. Pour the adai batter and spread it like dosa. Cook in medium heat for 3-4 minutes and flip it and cook the other side for 3 more minutes. Drizzle oil. Flip 1 or 2 times till it becomes lil crisp.
You can also prepare paniyaram with same batter. Add some chopped onions too.
· This is just the basic version of making adai, you can add other dals like green gram, horse gram.
· Other millets like varagu, kambu, kudhiravali can also be used.
· Grate veggies like onion, carror, caggage and add while cooking to make it healthier