Wednesday 3 December 2014

Kadala Curry / Black Chickpeas Curry


 
 
This is a kerala delicacy. I love this kadala curry as much as I love kerala. This curry simple, yet goes with everything.
Those days whenever I wanted to make this curry, I used to call my chithi for recipe who lives in Kerala. I never had the habit of scripting it or keeping it my memory.  Even when I try to remember.. my brain says ‘Memory full, please try later’. Now it’s time to script it. Her version has no masala involved. But my version has lil bit of additional masala to please my daughter and hubby.

Ingredients:
·         Black Channa / Chickpeas – 1 cup
·         Onion – 1 big size
·         Tomato – 1 medium size
·         Garlic Pods – 5
·         Water – 1 cup as required
·         Salt to taste
Roast and grind:
·         Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp.
·         Red chilies – 2 to 3
·         Cardamom – 2 pods
·         Cloves – 3
·         Cinnamon – a small piece
·         Coconut – ¾ cup

Method:

Wash and Soak Black Channa overnight.
Roughly chop Onion, tomato and Garlic.
Strain the water from Channa. Add the onion, tomato, Garlic and 1 cup of water to Channa and pressure cook 4-5 whistles.



Dry roast Coriander seeds, Cardamom, Cloves and Cinnamon in medium heat for a minute. Add coconut finally and roast for a minute. Cool them down.
While grinding the roasted ingredients add the 2 tbsp of cooked Channa also. This will give more thickness to the gravy.
 

Transfer the cooked Channa and grinded ingredients to a kadai, add salt, mix well and heat till the mixture starts to boil.
Our Tasty healthy kadala curry is ready.

Below is the order of the dishes that pairs well with our beloved kadala curry.

1.   Puttu
2.   Appam
3.   Dosai
4.   Idli
5.   Roti

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...