My mom in law watched this recipe in a TV channel and asked me to try and post in the blog.
Usual paruppu vadai is made with Chenna dal. This vadai is aval + Chenna dal.
Simple and crunchy vadai.
· Chenna Dal / Kadala Paruppu – ½ cup
· Poha / Aval – ½ cup (Thick red variety)
· Ginger – 1 inch piece
· Garlic – 3 pods – finely chopped.
· Onion – 1 small size - finely chopped
· Curry leaves + coriander leaves – fistful
· Fennel Seeds / Sombu– 1 tsp
· Red chilies – 2
· Green chili – 2 (Change according to ur taste)
· Asafetida – ¼ tsp
· Salt to taste
· Oil for deep frying.
After half an hour , drain the water completely from Chenna dal, add ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves, green chili, red chili and grind to a coarse paste. Don’t add water while grinding, and don’t grind it smooth. Transfer the contents to a wide bowl.
Drain the water from poha and squeeze well to remove the excess water.
Add the poha to the dal mixture and add the chopped onion, garlic and fennel seeds.
Add salt and asotifida and mix well.
Make them 10 equal sized balls and make into patties.
Heat the oil in a pan. Once heated fry them well golden brown flipping the sides in 2 batches.
Serve hot with coffee / tea.